제 9 호 AI Translator, One Tool for International Exchanges
Kicker: OPINION (TECHNOLOGY)
AI Translator, One Tool for International Exchanges
By Eugene Ha, Reporter
When did we start using the translator? What is the purpose of using a translator? Do you know the power of cute little translators? Do you know what role the translator has played and changed from the past to the present? How about the accuracy? Is the translator we are using now perfect? I don't think so. Google Translator and Papago, which we use a lot, are not always perfect. What is the reason? Let's find out why.
Every student may have used a translator once while preparing for a task or exam. The purpose we use will be studying. Then, what role does the translator play for travelers who travel to unfamiliar places? Translators will be used as a means of communication to live in the destination. In situations where a person in an important position on the international stage has to speak or understand an unfamiliar language, a translator will be a means of business-critical exchanges. Like this, the translator plays many roles in our lives and stays with us in various forms. There are two major translators that college students use the most. Google Translator and Naver Translator Papago. Let's take a look at the two by comparing them.
- It is a Google translation that is being serviced by Google. Google Translation is growing day by day. However, expressions full of characteristics in one language are still difficult to interpret mechanical and cultural languages.
- When you need to translate or use a local language, you need a professional English writer.
- Google translates documents. In addition to Word documents in doc and docw, all documents with letters such as txt, ppt, xls, and xlsx are supported. It even supports pdf.
- Recently, Google has added new features. Google Translate app provides real-time continuous translation functionality. It is a function that stores voice as text in real time and shows text translated in real time without any delay in processing. It is a new feature that even if several sentences continue, it translates and provides everything as it is. Therefore, it seems to be a useful function when listening to lectures or speeches in foreign languages.
- Google Translation has had a lot of difficulties in translating Korean for 10 years, but on the other hand, it is possible to express a simple living language for a new service.
- Knows how Korean users feel. And it's convenient for travel.
- It is convenient because it is directly connected to the word dictionary and the meaning can be found immediately.
- It understands Naver user's mind well. It also translates websites.
Both services have really improved the quality of translation these days. Artificial intelligence seems to improve the quality of translation over time. However, there is still something lacking. Let's take a look at all the errors and limitations.
- Translators vary by language depending on the translation sentence, and sometimes the meaning and words used in context are different.
- It seems difficult to classify the words and sentences used to communicate with each other and the words and sentences.
- Translators are not perfect by themselves yet, and we have to modify them and make them perfect.
- Because they do not know the languages and cultures of various nationalities, information is translated only from the lines known by artificial intelligence. So sometimes random words appear.
- In order to get closer to a more complete tool to mitigate these limitations and errors, we should think about what functions and evolution the translator should have in the future.
Translators are now developing day by day as very useful tools for communicating, interacting, and learning in a global society. I hope we can be reborn using these better tools, more perfect tools for communication and exchange in a global society.